Skip to Main Content

Geography and Environmental Studies Research: Find Maps


Location of Maps

Single Maps: Maps printed by the US government will have Government Documents as the location. Maps printed by any other publisher will have Maps as the location. Both locations are located in the Government Documents area of the Library (near the University Center entrance). 

Atlases: Atlases are located in either the Main CollectionMain OversizeReference or Oversize Reference

Need more help finding the correct location? Click here for a pdf map of the Library.

Call Numbers

Some map call numbers look a bit different from "normal" call numbers. Government-published maps have call numbers refering to the issuing agency like the US Geological Survey or the Central Intelligence Agency. 

Non-government maps follow the Library of Congress classification system. 

If you need help finding a specific map, contact a Librarian at the Research Assistance desk. 

Government Document Maps

The Library collects the following kinds of Government Document Maps: 

  • Geological Survey land use and land cover maps
  • Geological Survey misc. filed studies maps
  • Fish and Wildlife Service maps and charts
  • Land Management Bureau maps
  • Central Intelligence Agency maps 
  • Colorado Maps

Begin your search by selecting the Advanced Search option in the Catalog. 

Enter in your keyword and select MAPS from the material type option. Click Submit. 

Image of catalog fields for searching maps


Records for maps in the catalog are accompanied by an orange map icon. 

Individual item record for a map showing the orange map icon


Suggested Resources