Ask a Librarian!
Welcome to the Guide
This guide is intended to facilitate your learning of basic research skills and concepts and introduce you to many of the research tools and services the Library provides in order to help you complete your research assignments efficiently and effectively. At the completion of this course, you will have a foundational set of library research skills that you can apply and expand throughout your academic career and beyond. You will learn how to:
- Employ the tools and features of the Kraemer Library Catalog and Prospector in order to locate materials efficiently and effectively.
- Apply Boolean operators in your on-line search strategies to produce concise search results.
- Find company information.
- Distinguish between scholarly (refereed) journals and popular/trade magazines in order to identify articles that are written by experts.
- Employ the tools and features of periodical databases in order to identify and retrieve periodical literature efficiently and effectively.
Before We Get Started
You'll be using a lot of Kraemer Family Library resources while researching your assignments for English 1410. There are a few steps you need to take to ensure that your library use goes smoothly.
- Set up your library account - You can't check out any books from the library (or request books from other libraries) until you take your ID card to the circulation desk and activate your account.
- Install the VPN - You can access electronic resources 24/7 from home...as long as you are logged into the Library VPN (Transporter). Install it on your home computer as soon as possible.
- Create an ILLiad account - Need a journal article that the library doesn't have access to? You can request a copy from another library, but first you need to set up an Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) account.