Need Research Help?
Don't believe the stereotypes about cranky librarians who go around "shushing" people. All of the librarians at Kraemer Family Library love to help!
You can instantly connect to a librarian at the Reference Desk by clicking the Chat widget below. Don't like chatting online? Contact the Reference Desk at 719-255-3295 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also contact me, Barb Biljan, your friendly class librarian.
Ask a Librarian!
Need help with research or using the library? You can chat, call, email, or text the Library's Reference Desk.
Email: Send an Email
Welcome to the Guide!
This guide will lead you to many of the resources available through Kraemer Family Library and will assist you in learning how to use library research tools efficiently and effectively in order to complete your research assignments in this course. The research concepts and skills that you learn will provide you with a foundational set of research skills that you can use and build on throughout your academic career and beyond.
Your ENGL 1410 class will have two library instruction sessions. During these sessions, you will learn how to:
- Integrate reference sources into the research process in order to gain an initial understanding of your research topic.
- Apply the tools and features of the Kraemer Library Catalog and Prospector in order to locate materials efficiently and effectively.
- Employ the tools and features of periodical databases in order to identify and retrieve periodical literature efficiently and effectively.
- Apply Boolean operators in your on-line search strategies to produce concise search results.
- Distinguish between scholarly (refereed) journals and popular/trade magazines in order to identify articles that are written by experts.
Publish Your Work!
You're already researching and writing a paper this semester. Why not publish your work?
Consider submmitting a paper to URJ-UCCS: Undergraduate Research Journal at UCCS. It publishes high quality research and creative works produced by undergraduate students across the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs' campus. See what the journal is all about.
Submit your paper online today!