Need more help? Go to LiONiL, an interactive tutorial that will help you learn basic library research skills and introduce you to the online and print resources at Kraemer Family Library
Publish Your Work!
You're already researching and writing a paper this semester. Why not publish your work?
Consider submmitting a paper to URJ-UCCS: Undergraduate Research Journal at UCCS. It publishes high quality research and creative works produced by undergraduate students across the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs' campus. See what the journal is all about.
Submit your paper online today!
Before We Get Started
You'll be using a lot of Kraemer Family Library resources while researching your assignments for English 1410. There are a few steps you need to take to ensure that your library use goes smoothly.
- Set up your library account - You can't check out any books from the library (or request books from other libraries) until you take your ID card to the circulation desk and activate your account.
- Install the VPN - You can access electronic resources 24/7 from home...as long as you are logged into the Library VPN (Transporter). Install it on your home computer as soon as possible.
- Create an ILLiad account - Need a journal article that the library doesn't have access to? You can request a copy from another library, but first you need to set up an Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) account.
Welcome to the Guide!
This guide will lead you to many of the resources available through Kraemer Family Library and will assist you in learning how to use library research tools efficiently and effectively in order to complete your research assignments in this course. The research concepts and skills that you learn will provide you with a foundational set of research skills that you can use and build on throughout your academic career and beyond.
Your ENGL 1410 class will have three library instruction sessions. During these sessions, you will learn how to:
- Integrate reference sources into the research process in order to gain an initial understanding of your research topic.
- Apply the tools and features of the Kraemer Library Catalog and Prospector in order to locate materials efficiently and effectively.
- Employ the tools and features of periodical databases in order to identify and retrieve periodical literature efficiently and effectively.
- Apply Boolean operators in your on-line search strategies to produce concise search results.
- Distinguish between scholarly (refereed) journals and popular/trade magazines in order to identify articles that are written by experts.
Ask a Librarian!
Need help with research or using the library? You can chat, call, email, or text the Library's Reference Desk.
Email: Send an Email