Visiting Your Friendly Neighborhood Librarian
Don't believe the media stereotype of mean librarians who "Shush!" people. Librarians are very friendly and helpful individuals whose only wish is to make your life easier.
There is a librarian available at the Reference Desk to assist you with any research questions during the following times:
If you're at home, you can call us at 719-255-3295, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or chat with us.
Ask a Librarian!
Need help with research or using the library? You can chat, call, email, or text the Library's Reference Desk.
Email: Send an Email
Welcome to the Guide
This guide is intended to facilitate your learning of basic research skills and concepts and introduce you to many of the research tools and services the Library provides in order to help you complete your research assignments efficiently and effectively. At the completion of this course, you will have a foundational set of library research skills that you can apply and expand throughout your academic career and beyond. You will learn how to:
- Integrate reference sources into the research process in order to gain an initial understanding of your research topic.
- Employ the tools and features of the Kraemer Library Catalog and Prospector in order to locate materials efficiently and effectively.
- Employ the tools and features of periodical databases in order to identify and retrieve periodical literature efficiently and effectively.
- Apply Boolean operators in your on-line search strategies to produce concise search results.
- Distinguish between scholarly (refereed) journals and popular/trade magazines in order to identify articles that are written by experts.
Before We Get Started
You'll be using a lot of Kraemer Family Library resources while researching your assignments for English 1410. There are a few steps you need to take to ensure that your library use goes smoothly.
- Set up your library account - You can't check out any books from the library (or request books from other libraries) until you take your ID card to the circulation desk and activate your account.
- Install the VPN - You can access electronic resources 24/7 from home...as long as you are logged into the Library VPN (Transporter). Install it on your home computer as soon as possible.
- Create an ILLiad account - Need a journal article that the library doesn't have access to? You can request a copy from another library, but first you need to set up an Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) account.