Library Hours Fall Semester
Mon. - Thurs.
7:30am - Midnight
7:30 am - 8 pm
10 am - 6 pm
Ask a Librarian!
Need help with research or using the library? You can chat, call, email, or text the Library's Reference Desk.
Email: Send an Email
Welcome to the Guide
This guide is intended to facilitate your learning of basic research skills and concepts and introduce you to many of the research tools and services the Library provides. At the completion of this course, you will have a foundational set of library research skills that you can apply and expand throughout your academic career and beyond. You will learn how to:
- Integrate reference sources into the research process in order to gain an initial understanding of your research topic.
- Employ the tools and features of the Kraemer Library Catalog and Prospector in order to locate materials efficiently and effectively.
- Employ the tools and features of article databases in order to identify and retrieve periodical literature efficiently and effectively.
- Apply Boolean operators in your on-line search strategies to produce concise search results.
- Distinguish between and popular/trade magazines in order to identify articles that are written by experts.
- Critically evaluate information for its authority, bias, quality of reasoning, and timeliness (relative to its purpose) in order to select appropriate information for a specific purpose.
Before We Get Started
You'll be using a lot of Kraemer Family Library resources while researching your assignments for English 1410. There are a few steps you need to take to ensure that your library use goes smoothly.